Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Grandkid, She Has Doe Eyes

Extensor Familis Azuris
(I know. The Latin is as bad as it is fake)

My older sister is a piano teacher

my other sister wants to be a nurse.

I got a brother and he edits video

Me, I just wanna drive a hearse

Big sister’s boyfriend’s an inventor;

My son, he’s a freak with his guitar;

My ingenue’s gonna be a drama major

I just wanna be an aging rock star


My grandkid, she’s got doe eyes--

I've never noticed them before

I smilingly imagine all the men who fell

into those wells and hit the granite floor


My baby, she thinks I'm satan,

and it hurts like hell when I draw near

She puts herself a million miles away

wonder just who's being exorcised right here?


Sitting out detention isn't easy

when you're six buildings away

And having to stand outside

when there's no outside to stand in

really brightens up my day


One day soon I won't be satan

or else I'll be trying this elsewhere again

and being thankful for her final gifts--

my grandkid;

and our student, Jen.


No comments: